Aloha HSA Oahu 'Ohana,
We are very excited to announce that we are implementing priority surfing!
Please join us at our first priority surfing event at Kewalo Point from August 13 - 14, 2022. Since we are currently in a transitioning period, we will be implementing priority surfing for only 4 more events for the 2022 - 2023 season, we will be announcing these 4 events in the upcoming months.
HUGE MAHALO TO HIC - HAWAIIAN ISLAND CREATIONS!
We want to send a huge mahalo to HIC - Hawaiian Island Creations for sponsoring us to implement priority surfing to teach our competitors the knowledge and skills needed to be able to surf competitively.
Please send a huge mahalo to HIC - Hawaiian Island Creations and support HIC - Hawaiian Island Creations by clicking here to be directed to their shop.
Kewalo Point Event Updates
We have created heats for the 18 and Under on our LiveHeats page, so please check to make sure your child's name is on there if you have signed up for the event PRIOR to us closing the event.
Link to our LiveHeats Page: https://liveheats.com/hsa
Just a reminder that the Heats on LiveHeats are NOT the final Heat schedule, we are planning on posting the finalized Heats by this Tuesday, August 9, 2022.
Here are some Questions and Answers you might have regarding the Kewalo Point Event:
- What is Priority Surfing?
- According to the World Surf League's (WSL) website, the surfer with priority has the unconditional right of way to catch any wave they choose. Other surfers in the heat can paddle for, and catch, the same wave, but only if they do not hinder the scoring potential of a surfer with priority. A surfer loses priority once they catch a wave and/or a surfer paddles for but misses a wave. If two or more surfers catch a wave, the first surfer to make it to the take-off zone will get priority.
- I've Registered on Surf Sign-Up, but I don't see my heat on LiveHeats?
- We are still working with the director to generate Heats for the 18 and older divisions. If we decide to cancel any divisions, then we will refund you.
- How do I know if I'm Surfing?
- For the 18 and Under, please check our LiveHeats website to see if you are listed. If you have paid on Surf Sign-Up and aren't listed, then please email us at email@example.com.
- For the 18 and Older, we will post the tentative Heats by the evening on Tuesday, August 9, 2022. If you don't see your division, then we will refund you.
- I want to sign-up for the Kewalo Point Event, are you taking any more entries?
- Due to time constraints and transitioning systems, please check our website this coming Tuesday, August 9, 2022, to see if there are slots available.
- If there are slots available and to be fair to everyone, we will be taking entries on a first come first serve basis at the event so show up early to be guaranteed a slot!
- I've registered for multiple divisions, but only see my name in one division.
- For all priority surfing events, unfortunately, we are allowing competitors to only surf their own age division until further notice.
We really appreciate your patience and understanding during this transition so please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
Hawaii Surfing Association - Oahu Chapter